Monday, September 8, 2008

Green Lake Star Party, Cheap Scopes & Shuttle Update

The weather was pretty much perfect for the monthly Green Lake Star Party near the north shore parking lot on the 6th. It was my first time going to a star party and though there were only a few scopes set up due to other star parties going on in the area, I had my Orion 20x80 binoculars set up looking at Jupiter and had a lot of fun talking with observers about my limited knowledge of space. This was also the first time looking through some bigger scopes such as one 6" Dobsonian and a Orion 5" Cassegrain (I believe it was a Cassegrain) which we saw great views of Jupiter (easily seeing cloud detail), the Ring Nebula (M57), Dumbbell Nebula (M27), the Double Cluster of Perseus (NGC 869 & NGC 884), Andromeda Galaxy (M31) and of course the Moon and even a few satellites. It was really cool to see kids and many adults get excited about seeing deep space objects and learn a little bit more about the universe we live in.

Inspired by the star party, I picked up a cheap scope at Fry's to see what I could see before my big 8" scope purchase in the next month or so. I picked up the Galileo FS-80S (about a 3" reflector) and messed around with it that evening. I tried my hardest to get a good shot with the DSI II camera but the scope was so cheap that I couldn't achieve good focus even with the eyepiece.

I've decided to promptly return the scope as it's not worth owning - it's slightly better than my Orion 20x80, but useless for any kind of photo taking....sorry will have to wait a bit longer to see some good shots!

Lastly, STS-125 (last Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission) has been pushed a few days to Oct. 10. This launch will be pretty interesting because STS-126 will be on the pad as well for backup just in case something goes wrong with STS-125. I don't remember if this has ever been done before (at least I don't remember the last time we had two shuttles on the pad at the same time).


Space shuttle Atlantis stands poised on the launch pad after its trek from the Vehicle Assembly Building. Image credit: NASA

No comments: